What to look for… Top 3
- QBs! With Trevor Harris one of a few departures this off-season, we’ve got eyes on a new starting QB. Last year, the REDBLACKS had Dominique Davis as a backup, and this year he has his hands on the starting job. Although Dom has seen the most time in plaid, we also have signed Jonathon Jennings, who will also be chasing down to be QB1. On Saturday, when Ottawa faces Hamilton at TD Place, we should see lots of the two QBs, nut we should also see lots of Danny Collins, who could slip into QB1 talks!
- Special teams! Do I really have to say anything for this? Lewis Ward is a God. Last year, the kid made 48 straight kicks in the regular season. Did I forget to mention, it was his rookie year? Coming in for his sophomore season, this Saturday we will see Lewis Ward do Lewis Ward things. Even without Lewis Ward, we’ve got the best punter in the CFL in Richie Leone, and might have the two best returners in the league with Ryan Lankford and Troy Stoudermire.
- The bud? With Greg Ellingson off to Edmonton, Brad is all by himself. With all his time in Ottawa, Brad has yet to play without Greg. Although many fans are worried about these departures like Trevor Harris, Greg Ellingson or William Powell, we shouldn’t be worried at all. This season will be different than others, but the whole “Next man up” mentality has got to be big in the locker room. At running-back, losing Will Powell wasn’t too bad. Considering we’ve already got Mossis Madu, signing John Crockett was huge. Also on offense, we lost Diontae Spencer and Greg Ellingson, to replace them we signed Caleb Holley (Sask), Ryan Lankford (WPG, KR/WR), and Nate Behar from Edmonton. If you are at the game or watching it at home, watch out for Caleb Holley, RJ Harris, Nate Behar and Ryan Lankford, they’ll be doing special things this year!
Who to look for… Top 3
- RJ Shelton. Former Michigan State Spartans wide receiver/kick returner has eyes on the 2019 roster. Last season, he was given a shot with the REDBLACKS. It opened his eyes, and showed him what he can do! He was given a spot on the practice roster, until the team made moves and later released him. RJ is back in camp, and is not taking his opportunity for granted. This Saturday, he will face limited time on the field, but will give his “A” game every second he is playing.
- Danny Collins. The former Maine QB enters his third season in the CFL in the middle of a QB carousel. Danny has spent the last two season behind Trevor Harris, but with Trevor gone Danny has his opportunity to show what he is made of. Sure, Dom Davis and Jonathon Jennings may have more CFL experience and all, but I am looking forward to seeing Danny give 110% every single snap.
- Troy Stoudermire. The Minnesota University product would not have to prove himself on any other team, but this year’s defense is stacked. Our secondary contains of, Jonathan Rose, Sherrod Baltimore, Corey Tindal, Antoine Pruneau, Chris Randle, Anthony Cioffi, Justin Howell, Randall Evans, and Troy Stoudermire. Troy performs well on the defensive side of the ball, but once-you see him return a few kicks, your mind will be blown. Troy set the record for most kick return yards in FBS history at 3,615 yards. With Diontae Spencer off to the NFL, Troy might have a shot at returning kicks, alongside WR Ryan Lankford.
Thanks for reaching the end of the article, enjoy Saturday’s game, keep your eyes open for a game recap Sunday morning.